Summer weather in Newark can be a bear. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve assembled some tips to make it simple.
The best thing you can do to stay comfortable and ensure energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® suggests keeping your system running dependably and efficiently, and Luikart Heating & Cooling can help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to run harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of correct and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure accurate system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is consistently inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter could raise energy expenses and damage your equipment, which may lead to premature failure. Our Luikart Heating & Cooling professionals will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to set up your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you cool when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Use fans to your advantage. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people often forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to take care of the heat and humidity from your home.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Luikart Heating & Cooling at call at 740-200-5591 or request an appointment with us online.