While the cold season seems like it’s already been going on for much too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help decrease those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, heating your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills to a minimum and energy efficiency at a maximum, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a jingle at 740-200-5591. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Newark weather.