Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Newark, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a big impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Luikart Heating & Cooling can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Luikart Heating & Cooling in Newark a call to get started. Give us a shout at 740-200-5591 or schedule an appointment with us online.