As the temperature rises, so does your air conditioning expenses. To keep your cooling bills down you could be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Newark?
It’s a common belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is inefficient. This is actually false.
Keeping your AC going constantly means you’re not using it very efficiently. We recommend moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re out, and lowering it when you come home. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat is able to do the work for you.
It’s a lot more work for your system to stay at a consistent temp all day long. It can also cause a lot of wear and tear to your air conditioner, since it’s frequently turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your electricity bills, it may also cause a shorter life expectancy for your AC unit.
In any case, the larger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your energy expenses will be. So, what can you do to keep cool and keep your electric bills lower in the hot weather? Here are our tips based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Ways to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat Usage. The DOE says that you can spend up to 10% less a year on heating and cooling by turning up your thermostat 7-10 degrees when you’re away at work. Through the hotter months, it’s advised to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re elsewhere. It’s additionally important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a cooler setting than average when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool off your house any faster, it just leads to more expensive electric expenses. While these temperatures may seem high, there are many methods to keep cool without having to constantly run the AC unit.
- Utilize Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says increasing the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lower energy by up to 14% during the course of the warmer months. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to save energy. Additionally, keeping blinds down and curtains shut for the duration of the day helps keep chilled air indoors. There are also some window solutions designed to deliver added insulation and enhance energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks throughout a residence let cooler air to quickly get out and warmer air to get within. This may result in your AC unit having to work harder to keep your residence cool and your AC bills to rise. Make certain that any openings, doors and windows are properly sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are simple fixes for leaks or drafts near windows and doors.
- Schedule Routine Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance makes sure your equipment is always functioning at its most efficient. This lets our pro to find little issues before they result in major dilemmas. A maintained air conditioner is generally more efficient and might even live for a greater period of time.
- Upgrade to a Smart Thermostat. One of the best approaches to guarantee comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature based on your everyday schedule. It works with your smartphone to notice when you’re in your home or gone to maximize your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 yearly on heating and cooling bills.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can anticipate a properly maintained AC unit to last for 15-20 years. But if you’re frequently calling us for air conditioning repair or your energy expenses are increasing with no altering in thermostat settings, it might be time for a new system. We carry many energy-efficient air conditioners, including ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without negotiating comfort.
Enhance Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Luikart Heating & Cooling
No one enjoys seeing their energy bill rise during the warm months. If you’re in search of more ways to keep your energy use and bills lower this summer, our team can help. Give us a call at 740-200-5591 or contact us online right away for more information.