Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Luikart Heating & Cooling in Newark about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the period of time between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the experts at Luikart Heating & Cooling. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning effectively, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Luikart Heating & Cooling about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters regularly and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Newark home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Luikart Heating & Cooling a call at 740-200-5591.