They say knowledge is power, and that’s definitely accurate when discussing your air conditioner. While complicated repairs are best left to professionals, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve everyday AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will enable you to handle little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you money on minor service calls, but understanding when to reach out to a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into complex repairs.
Your AC is a fundamental part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified technician for air conditioning repair in Newark if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are a few of the frequent questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is an effective way to make sure it runs efficiently, and potentially could extend the life of your unit.
The most effective thing you can do on your own is to change the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter traps dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes choked with debris, the air conditioner has to work harder than it really should in order to move air through the filter. A clean filter catches the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters can be purchased at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be purchased from your local HVAC specialist. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are trying to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the experienced professionals like the crew at Luikart Heating & Cooling to do scheduled maintenance on your unit. They’ll examine your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential trouble.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor air conditioning unit is operating efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outdoor unit of your AC is an easy way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which have extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back in your home so it can absorb more heat from the air in your home's interior. Cleaning the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, turn off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip the power switch off, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the inside of the unit. Then, being cautious not to pull hard on any cords or attachments, safely move the top to the side.
3) Apply a cleaning solution on the fins, starting at the top and then working your way down. Commercial coil cleaners are available and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as brands foaming solutions that are sprayed on with an attachment to your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most products, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a brief period of time to loosen the grime and then carefully spray it off with a garden hose. Be careful not to spray really hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning the power back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how often it's used. However, experts say you should start getting ready for air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to make the most of your HVAC is through regular conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from Luikart Heating & Cooling includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as possible, contact us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Newark.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Choosing the right size of air conditioner for your home is crucial for keeping comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to think about when deciding what size air conditioner you need for your home:
- Square footage: The size of the space you want to cool is one of the most important factors. Larger spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes hold cool air better, which can decrease your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you reside in a hotter climate, you'll want a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, particularly when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house create more body heat, which can influence your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and effectiveness of your current system can provide a starting point for identifying what you need.
Because the size of your AC is so important to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At Luikart Heating & Cooling, we take the time to thoroughly understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other factors such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why Luikart Heating & Cooling is known for superb air conditioning installation in Newark.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices differ depending on the brand of the unit and your home’s unique specifications, a new air conditioning system generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are crafted to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that require modifications to the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can vary. It's always smart to get several quotes from reliable HVAC companies before making a purchase. If you’re contemplating air conditioning replacement in Newark, contact Luikart Heating & Cooling. We can provide you with a complimentary estimate, describe the process and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An air conditioner freezing up can be brought on by many factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your unit is experiencing issues causing it to freeze up, it is very likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical reasons for AC freezing up:
- Inadequate airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't sufficiently absorb heat. This could be due to a plugged air filter, blocked return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it could become too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Cold outdoor temperatures: Operating an air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Most units aren't designed to perform in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Broken thermostats, damaged blower motors and trouble with the relay or control board can all result in an AC unit freezing up.
Luikart Heating & Cooling is the Respected Source for Air Conditioning Service in Newark.
At Luikart Heating & Cooling, we will make your home a comfortable and enjoyable place. Our knowledgeable technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Newark and nearby cities.
If you’re seeking to upgrade or its time for a new air conditioner, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-rate air conditioning installation in Newark. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact Luikart Heating & Cooling today at 740-200-5591 to schedule an appointment or complimentary estimate!